UK’s Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, has accused India, among others, of holding the climate talks to ransom. I call that bullshit. This is a rant, you have been alerted. I don’t have exact numbers, but whatever I say here is correct, in that it is the truth.
- The developed world abused the environment for their progress in the last two centuries.
- The developed world is continuing to abuse the environment to maintain their standard of living.
- The developed world fobs off their toxic waste disposal on to third world and developing countries to protect their “local” environment and standard of living.
- Standard of living and economic progress are proportional to emissions.
- Per capita emissions of developing countries is orders of magnitude lesser than those of developed countries.
- In spite of the drum beating going on, developed countries have increased their emissions. Forget keeping them constant or reducing them.
- If developing countries accept emission cuts now, they will never be able to sustain their economic progress or raise their standards of living.
- Developed countries are not ready to provide subsidised environment-friendly technology; rather they are treating this as another cash cow.
- Developed countries should accept stricter per capita cuts in emission than developing countries. Call this their debt to the world.
- If we accept the current climate treaty, specially with the “legally binding” and “subject to verification” clauses, we are, in effect, enslaving ourselves to the developed world.